Vegan Recipe: Plant-based Christmas Root Vegetable & Nut Loaf
Mezza9 at Grand Hyatt Singapore is one of the most vegan-friendly restaurants in town, with several plant-based dishes offered on their menus. Their Festive Christmas and NYE buffets offer a lot for vegetarians as well.
If you’re looking to indulge your taste buds the vegan way this Christmas, we have the perfect recipe for you, contributed by Chef Martin, the Executive Sous Chef of Mezza9. So enjoy this very Christmassy Nut loaf with mushroom gravy!
RECIPE: Plant-Based Christmas Root Vegetable & Nut loaf, with Mushroom gravy
Ingredients (for Nut Loaf)
- 50gm Quinoa
- 150gm Oat flakes
- 100gm Chestnuts, peeled
- 75gm Cashew nuts, peeled
- 75gm Hazelnuts, peeled
- 75gm Walnuts, peeled
- 75gm Almonds, peeled
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 5 leaves Sage
- 4 piece Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250gm Pumpkin Mash
- 75gm Carrots, diced, cooked
- 75gm Celeriac, diced, cooked
- 220gm Bonduel spinach
- 60ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 10ml Golden Syrup
- 3gm Cinnamon Powder
- 2gm Clove Powder
- 2gm All spice Powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black pepper, ground to taste
METHOD (for Nut Loaf)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Toast all nuts, allow to cool down and chop coarsely.
- Combine quinoa, oat flakes and nuts into a bowl.
- Process in a food processor, rosemary, sage, garlic into a fine paste.
- Add the paste into the bowl.
- Drain excess liquid and finely chop the spinach. Add into the bowl.
- Add the pumpkin mash, cooked carrot & celeriac dices and mix well.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, golden syrup, cinnamon powder, clove powder, allspice powder and mix in well.
- Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Line a loaf tin with grease-proof paper and spoon in the mixture, pressing down firmly as you go.
- Cook for approximately an 60-90 minutes, until golden brown on top and cooked all the way through.
Ingredients (for Mushroom Gravy)
- 280gm Olive oil
- 20 piece Garlic clove, minced
- 250gm White onion, diced
- 700gm Button Mushroom, thinly sliced
- 10gm Salt
- 10gm Pepper
- 20gm Sage, chopped
- 90gm Flour
- 1.2 litre Vegetable broth
- 2.2 litre Almond milk, unsweetened
- 150gm Walnuts, finely chopped
METHOD (for Mushroom Gravy)
- Add garlic, onion, mushrooms into an Hot sauce pan with Olive Oil.
- Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add flour and whisk to coat, stir for approx. 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth and almond milk.
- Simmer on low heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed with Salt & Pepper.
- Add walnuts and stir to combine.
|MARTIN SATOW: Executive Sous Chef – Mezza9, Grand Hyatt Singapore|
A Hamburg native, Chef Martin started his culinary career in Berlin and has been cooking since the age of 15. Prior to joining Grand Hyatt Singapore, Chef Martin was Executive Sous Chef at Park Hyatt Istanbul Maçka Palas, voted by Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards in 2013 as one of the top 10 hotels in Eastern Europe. He also played an integral role as Head Chef of Catch and George Pub in Andaz Liverpool Street, London. At the age of 25 and 26, Chef Martin won two international live cooking competition awards. Chef Martin says, “I always keep an open mind when it comes to cooking. Mezza9 is not just a paradise for chefs to learn from, but also for diners as there are so many different and exciting cuisines to enjoy in one location”.
At EatRoamLive, we promote and facilitate a healthier, ethical and environmentally friendly veg way of life. ERL is a Media & Events platform connecting veg-friendly restaurants and brands with vegetarian and vegan consumers or those who are consciously looking to make their plates greener. Be it food, travel fashion or skincare, we help you discover brands and experiences that are ethical, sustainable, cruelty-free and simply fabulous.