– Recipe by Chef Jo Ann Ng
Yup, you read right, I said Miso Pasta! This recipe has been created by Chef Jo Ann Ng from Vanilla Bar & Café. Chef Jo Ann is an award-winning chef who is well known for her contemporary Japanese creations.
This recipe was especially crafted for the culinary class ‘Cooking with Gourmet Greens‘. The event was presented by FIJI Water, with the intent of championing the pure, pristine taste of vegetables by taking the initiative into home kitchens.
Creamy Miso Pasta with Brussels Sprouts & Zucchini Ribbons is a dish that beautifully marries local Asian flavours with traditional Italian ingredients and methods. Also exciting is the fact that the sauce is a healthier alternative to the Cream Sauce.
• 1⁄2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
• 1 tbsp white miso paste (available in most supermarkets)
• 2 tsp chopped garlic
• 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1⁄2 cup FIJI Water
• 2 tbsp calamansi lime juice
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp honey
• Sea salt, to taste
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 cups Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
• 1 teaspoon calamansi lime juice
• 250gm No. 5 spaghetti
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Chilli flakes (optional)
• Zucchini Ribbons
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, cut side down, along with a pinch of salt. Let them sear until the cut side becomes golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Toss and continue cooking until tender, then transfer to a plate. (Alternatively, you can bake the Brussels sprouts).
- For the sauce, puree the cashews, miso paste, garlic, honey, Dijon mustard, FIJI Water, calamansi lime juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt until smooth. Season to taste.
- For the zucchini ribbons, use a vegetable peeler to create zucchini ribbons by peeling long strands. It might take a slice or two before you get even ribbons.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and return the pasta to the pot. Stir in the sauce, adding pasta water as needed to thin the sauce and make it creamy. Add the Brussels sprouts and zucchini ribbons. Toss until heated through and finish with calamansi juice.
- Serve hot with freshly ground black pepper and chilli flakes, if using.
At EatRoamLive, we promote and facilitate a healthier, ethical and environmentally friendly veg way of life. ERL is a Media & Events platform connecting veg-friendly restaurants and brands with vegetarian and vegan consumers or those who are consciously looking to make their plates greener. Be it food, travel fashion or skincare, we help you discover brands and experiences that are ethical, sustainable, cruelty-free and simply fabulous.